(Note the fresh parsley theme running through all the following recipies – an excellent herb packed with nutrients, vit C, minerals and more – if you don’t like parsley, let me know, I have lots more yummy recipes to come).
KHORASAN WHEAT (KAMUT) BERRY SALAD
* 1 cup kamut berries, soaked overnight
* 1/2 cup raw wild rice
* 2/3 cup toasted chopped pecans
* 1 cup dried cranberries
* 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
* 1/2 cup chopped green onions
* 3 tbs fresh lemon or lime juice
* 1 tbs honey
* 1 tbs dijon mustard
* 1 tsp kosher salt
* 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1. Soak the kamut berries overnight in cold water, covering them 3 inches. Drain the water in the morning.
2. Boil the berries in 6 cups of water for about 50 to 60 minutes, or until tender. Add more water as necessary to keep wheat berries covered during cooking. Drain excess water from the kamut berries when done.
3. In another small pot, boil 2 cups of water. Add the wild rice and simmer for about 45 minutes, or until the rice begins to split. I prefer to undercook the wild rice slightly so that it retains some structure. Drain excess water.
4. Combine the cooked wheat berries and wild rice in a large bowl.
5. Whisk the lime juice, honey, mustard, salt, and pepper to make the dressing. Add the dressing to the kamut berries and wild rice, mix thoroughly.
6. Now add the cranberries, pecans, parsley, and green onions and combine well.
KAMUT WITH SHALLOTS AND PARSLEY:
2 1/2 tbs butter
6 shallots or 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
1 1/2 cup Kamut
3 cup chicken/vegetable stock
1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
1/4 tsp pepper
Melt butter in large skillet.
Add shallots and cook over med heat till wilted.
Stir in kamut and stock. Bring to boil.
Turn off heat, cover and let stand 45 min.
Add pepper and parsley and toss.
Warm over low heat for 5-10 min and serve.
BARLEY MUSHROOM SOUP
The crimini mushrooms and tawny port (optional) gives this Barley Mushroom Soup extra flavor. This soup is a great way to enjoy the health benefits of barley.
Prep and Cook Time: Prep time: 20 min; Cook time: 55 min
*1/2 cup of purple barley
* 2½ cups crimini mushrooms, cut in half and sliced
* ½ cup Tawny port/sweet white wine (optional)
* 1 tbs + 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
* 1 tbs chopped fresh parsley
* 1 tbs chopped fresh thyme (or 1 tsp dried thyme)
* ½ tbs chopped fresh sage (or ½ tsp dried sage)
* Salt and black pepper to tasteDirections:
1. Rinse and soak barley in 1 cup of warm water while preparing rest of ingredients.
2. Heat 1 tbs broth in a medium soup pot. Healthy Sauté onion, garlic, and carrots in broth for 5 minutes over medium heat, stirring frequently.
3. Add mushrooms and continue to sauté for another 3 minutes. Add drained barley and Tawny Port and cook for about 2 minutes.
4. Add rest of broth and bring soup to a boil on high heat. Once it comes to a boil, reduce heat to medium and simmer for about 40 minutes, or until barley and carrots are tender.
5. Add herbs, salt, and pepper at the end of cooking and serve.
If you are using dried herbs instead of fresh ones, add them in step 4 before you simmer the soup.
PURPLE BARLEY TABOULEH
Mint, lemon and parsley are all highlighted in tabouleh, a fresh barley salad.
1 cup purple barley
2 cups chopped tomatoes
2/3 cup finely chopped scallion, green and white part
1 cup finely chopped parsley
1/2 cup finely chopped mint
1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
Sea salt, to taste
Ground pepper, to taste
Bring 2 1/2 cups of water to a boil in a heavy saucepan. Stir in barley and bring back to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer over low heat until tender, about 1 hour. Rinse with cool water, drain and set aside. In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, scallion, parsley, mint and lemon zest. Toss in well-drained barley.
Whisk lemon juice with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Drizzle over salad and toss to combine.